Pro Bono Net, Inc. (PBN, for short) is a New York non-profit corporation that provides the website, www.citizenshipworks.org, and related mobile applications (each, a "Site") as a free service to individuals seeking to apply for U.S. citizenship or learn about the naturalization process. PBN also offers certain features of our Sites as a service to organizations giving not-for-profit or reduced fee legal assistance to individuals seeking to be naturalized.
Using this Site means you agree to review and follow these:
- All updates, and
- Other policies and rules posted at this Site.
Together, these terms, updates, and other policies and rules form the complete agreement between you and PBN. The most recent version always supersedes any previous version, whether oral or written.
Not-for-Profit Use by LSOs and Advocates
If not used for profit, this Site may be used by LSOs and advocates to help individuals determine their eligibility to apply for U.S. citizenship and to help eligible applicants complete their Form N-400s. Filing the Form N-400 cannot be done on this site. Applicants must print their application and follow the USCIS instructions to file the application by mail.
- An organization giving not-for-profit or reduced fee legal assistance.
- Lawyers or DOJ accredited representatives and their staff in an LSO.
A. LSO and Advocate Responsibilities
When you use this Site, you agree that you alone are responsible for:
- Protecting your client’s and your interests,
- Using your own professional judgment to apply any information from this Site to the facts and circumstances of your client's case,
- Verifying any information you get from this Site, and
- Personally assuring that your legal advice is based on accurate and complete information and research from any available sources.
- Taking measures to address the security and privacy of any information you receive through this Site.
Any application that has been flagged for review by the CitizenshipWorks platform can only be finalized on the authority of, and after review by, an attorney or DOJ accredited representative.
B. Ethics Notice for LSOs and Advocates
When you use this Site, you must follow all applicable ethical rules and standards, including for:
- Conflicts of interest,
- Client solicitation,
- Unauthorized practice of law,
- Privileged and confidential information, and
- Misrepresentations of fact.
PBN is not responsible for your compliance with these rules.
LEGAL CLAIMS AND PROCEDURES
- Limited Liability
BY YOUR USE OF THIS SITE, YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS RELATING TO THE USE OF THE SITE OR ITS CONTENT, WHETHER SUCH CLAIMS ARE AGAINST PBN OR ANY OTHER PERSON WHO HAS SUPPLIED CONTENT TO THE SITE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY SHALL PBN OR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SITE BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS' FEES) IN ANY WAY DUE TO, RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING IN CONNECTION FROM, YOUR ACCESS TO, USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THIS SITE. TO THE EXTENT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS PROHIBITED OR FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF PBN OR ANY OTHER PERSON WHO HAS SUPPLIED CONTENT TO THE SITE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO $100.00.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless PBN and any third party providing content to this Site, from any and all claims, losses, expenses, damages and costs, including but not limited to reasonable attorneys' fees, arising as a result of your use of this Site.
Any claims made related to this Site must be settled in New York by binding arbitration. The arbitration will be conducted in accordance with the then applicable Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Each side will pay for its own costs, including attorney fees and costs.
If you go to arbitration, your claim will be decided by one arbitrator who is knowledgeable about computer and Internet law.
The arbitrator’s award will be binding and conclusive, and a judgment on any award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. The arbitrator may not award punitive damages.
Any claim made related to this Site will be arbitrated (or litigated, as the case may be) on an individual basis and shall not be consolidated with any claim of any other party whether through class action proceedings, class arbitration proceedings or otherwise.
- Enforcing PBN's Rights
- Have the right to non-monetary relief, including a court order requiring you to stop or to perform any relief a court may impose, and
- Not have to post any bond or other security.
- Third Party Rights
PBN and any contributor or other third party submitting materials to this Site have the right to enforce this agreement’s provisions for Disclaimer, Liability, Arbitration, and Indemnification against you on its own behalf.
- All other parts of this agreement are valid,
- The intended meaning of the invalidated part will be replaced with language that closely matches PBN’s original intent, and
- This agreement remains valid.
Even if a term of this agreement goes unenforced, PBN does not waive any part of this agreement, unless it does so in writing.
- Notification of Alleged Copyright Infringement
PBN reserves the rights to remove any content that allegedly infringes a third party's copyright or otherwise violates the rights of any third party, or for any reason whatsoever, and to prohibit further use of this Site by the individuals responsible for said infringement or violation. PBN also reserves the rights to pursue any party that submits an erroneous declaration. If you believe that any content appears on this Site in violation of your copyright or other proprietary rights, you should send a notice to PBN by first-class mail, return receipt requested, at the following address: Citizenshipworks, c/o Pro Bono Net, Inc., 151 West 30th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10001. Such notice should include the following:
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity. Include information reasonably sufficient to permit PBN to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit PBN to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an e-mail address.
- The signature of the complaining party.
- Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."
- Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."
- User information
To use certain parts of this Site, you must provide your registration information, including a username and password. The information you provide must be correct and complete, and you must update it if any of that information changes.
To use this Site, you must agree to:
- Use your chosen username and password when you access the Site,
- Not let anyone else use your username or password to access this Site,
- Be liable for anyone who accesses the Site with your user information, and
- Protect your user information so that others cannot use it.
- Protect Your Password
To protect your information, you should not use your name, birthday, address, street name, Social Security number, alien registration number, driver’s license number, a single word, or other information that is easy to guess. A strong password should include a combination of capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols and should be at least 8 characters long.
If you suspect someone is using your login information, contact us right away at: email@example.com.
- No Illegal Activity
PBN may investigate complaints and reported violations. If we suspect illegal or inappropriate activity, we may report it to law enforcement officials, regulators, or other parties. We may disclose user information of anyone or any entity involved in that activity to the extent necessary, including: user profiles, e-mail addresses, usage history, submitted or uploaded materials, IP addresses, and traffic information. If possible, we will take reasonable steps to minimize the disclosure of confidential information of users who are not the target of the investigations, such as by redacting confidential information.
You must not use this Site in any way that would be considered as illegal under New York law, U.S. law, or the laws of your state.
Do not use this Site to:
- Upload content that is illegal, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, invasive of someone’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically objectionable, or wrongful in some other way,
- Harm a child in any way,
- Misrepresent your affiliation with a person or agency or impersonate a person or agency, including PBN or its staff,
- Upload content that you do not have a right to transmit, including information from fiduciary relationships, such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements,
- Upload content that infringes, misappropriates, or in any way violates a party’s patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights,
- Stalk or harass someone, or
- Use any function of this Site to collect or store personal data about other users unless PBN and the user(s) have authorized you to do so.
- PBN’s Ownership Rights
This Site is protected by copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, service marks, patents and other proprietary rights and laws. PBN alone owns its copyrights to this Site’s layout, graphics, navigation design, source code, the collective and compiled copyrights in its databases, and all other content created by PBN employees, contractors, consultants, and contributors to this Site.
You may not use or alter any of the information or content on this Site in any way, except that you may use the Site and print copies of it for personal, non-commercial use.
Any print-outs from this Site must retain all copyright, trademark and other proprietary notices.
You may not use PBN’s trademarks, service marks, or trade dress in any way, including in:
- Services or products not owned by PBN,
- A way that causes confusion or implies that PBN sponsors, endorses, or is connected to your own activities, products, or services,
- Hidden or embedded text in web pages, or
- A way that is critical of PBN or this Site.
- Follow PBN's Rules
To use this Site you must follow these Terms unless you get PBN’s express written permission to do otherwise.
- Upload unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other form of solicitation, except in areas designated for that purpose,
- Upload material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment,
- Interfere with this Site or the servers and networks connected to this Site, or
- Disobey any requirement, procedure, policy or regulation of a network connected to this Site.
You must not use any part of this Site, its content, or its underlying programs to:
- Decompile, extract or disassemble our source code,
- Copy, change, reproduce, republish, distribute, display, or transmit for commercial, non-profit or public purposes any part of this Site, its content or its software, except as allowed by other terms of this agreement,
- Rent, lease, loan, sell, sublicense, or create derivative works from this Site, except as allowed by the terms of this agreement,
- Use software or other methods to monitor or copy our Site or software,
- Determine the Site architecture or extract information about usage, users, or their identities, or
- Use, export, or re-export any part of this Site or its content in violation of U.S. export control laws.
You must not use any material owned by PBN or licensed to PBN by a third party for any use, especially not for any commercial use. This includes:
- Text, forms, documents, images, graphics, logos, or button icons,
- Any other material or information you get from a PBN’s contributors,
- Other content or copyright material owned by PBN or a PBN contributor, and
- Any PBN trademark, service mark, or logo.
- Communications with PBN
You may communicate with PBN by e-mail, our support form, or through the live chat feature for questions about PBN’s service or for limited technical support.
- Links to other websites
This Site may list links to other websites. We do this for your convenience only. When you click on a link to other websites, you leave this Site. Those links are not a recommendation or approval of those sites or their owners and those websites are not under PBN’s control. We are not responsible for those websites, the information, services or products they may offer, or any loss or damage you may have at those sites.
- Links to this Site
You may not link to this Site from another website for commercial purposes. Any links to this Site from other sites do not imply any affiliation between PBN and those other sites.
PBN does not guarantee or warrant this Site or its content to be always available, correct, up-to-date, reliable, free of viruses or other defects, or that any problems or inaccuracies will be corrected.
PBN is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to:
- The hardware or software you use to access this Site,
- Your use of this Site or its content for any purpose, including related to legal advice,
- Any errors or omissions in the content at this Site or other websites you are directed to from this Site, or
- The unavailability of this Site or its content.
PBN makes no guarantee that any material on this Site is
- Suitable for any special purpose, or
- Free of any claim of ownership by a third party.
PBN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.